CryENGINE3 SDK has been released today!
1. What sets CryENGINE 3 apart from other technologies?
Crytek is the innovator of real-time technology, not only by employing new cutting edge approaches, developed in worldwide research for photorealistic real-time graphics, but also by inventing new solutions which set new standards in the industry. Crytek has shown several times that the core values of its technology, fast production iteration through real-time approaches in all disciplines of computer graphics and content generation, result in superior products at manageable production cost. Using Crytek’s technology, CryENGINE, you are given the tools to make your vision a reality, without having to worry too much about the technical depths of achieving best quality and platform compatibility, with proven fast workflows enabling your team to reach maximum productivity. 2. What are the system requirements for Developer?
• Supported operating Systems: XP, Vista, Windows 7 (with Windows 7 recommended)
• CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz, AMD Athlon 64 X2 2GHz or better
• Memory: GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
• Video Card : nVidia 8800GT 512MB RAM, ATI 3850HD 512MB RAM or better
3. Where can I get the Free CryENGINE 3 SDK?
You can download the Free CryENGINE 3 SDK from our new community portal http://www.crydev.net. As long as you register for an account on that site and accept the terms and conditions and our End User License Agreement, which we encourage you to read, you can run CryENGINE 3 and use it for non-commercial purposes.
4. How to get started?
To start the Free CryENGINE 3 SDK after having downloaded it, unpack the file with any unpacking software (e.g. Winrar, Winzip,) and execute the Sandbox Editor.exe. It can be found in the Bin64 directory (also found in the Bin32 folder for 32-bit users) of the CryENGINE root folder. Additional help to setup Crytiff plugin, 3ds Max & Maya exporters and general Engine Usage can be found in the documentation on crydev.net.
5. Do I have to register in order to use the Free CryENGINE 3 SDK?
Yes, you have to create an account on crydev.net. You need your CryDev account in order to use the Free SDK.
6. What kind of developer support is available for the Free CryENGINE 3 SDK?
We’ll be giving you a completely new community site, http://www.crydev.net. This site brings all our communities together − from mappers to modders to indie developers and will therefore be a huge gathering of wide-ranging knowledge all around CryENGINE® development. There are many tutorials available and we’ll also be sharing our documentation with you, which is written by the developers of the engine. The documentation will be updated regularly. You can find the documentation on crydev.net.
7. Will the Free CryENGINE 3 SDK be updated regularly?
Yes, we will update the free CryENGINE® 3 SDK regularly, to make sure you have access to all the advances we make to CryENGINE®3.
Business and Legal
1. Is the CryENGINE 3 SDK really free to use?
Yes. Anyone can now download a full version of the best All-In-One Game Development Engine, for free and use it without charge for non-commercial game development. If you are distributing your game or application for free (and not charging for your work in producing it, whether directly or indirectly), no additional license is required. If you are looking to use CryENGINE 3 for a commercial game or in any way that is not specifically allowed in the End User License Agreement (EULA), you must contact Crytek to agree on commercial terms and a license for your use.
2. Is it the same Engine Crytek use in their Games?
Yes, we’ll be giving you access to an up to date version of CryENGINE®3 − the engine we use, the engine we give to our licensees and the same engine that powers Crysis®2 and Warface®. This will be a complete version of our technology including C++ game code access, our content exporters, script samples, new improved Flowgraph and a host of great asset examples, which will allow teams to build complete games from scratch for PC. Some features, such as DirectX11 have not been implemented into the Free SDK yet, but will be coming very soon.
3. Can educational facilities and students use it for free? You can use CryENGINE 3 for free in educational facilities, even if you are charging tuition. We have always offered our engine for free to educators, but now individual students can freely download the engine and use if to learn about real-time 3D development.
4. I want to commercialize my product. Is there any licensing option available for Independent Developer?
We have attractive licensing options for small indie developers. Please visit http://www.mycryengine.com to contact Crytek to find out more.
5. Can I release my projects for free?
If you are distributing your game or application for free (and not charging for your work in producing it, whether directly or indirectly), no additional license is required. If you are looking to use CryENGINE 3 for a commercial game or in any way that is not specifically allowed in the End User License Agreement (EULA), you must contact Crytek to agree on commercial terms and a license for your use.
6. Do you have any other questions?
If you have any other questions that aren’t answered here, don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.